Sunday, May 22, 2011

Go figure...The Tree of Life wins the Palme d'Or!

Behold the prizes:

Official Competition Palme d'Or: The Tree Of Life (dir: Terrence Malick)

Grand Prix (Runner-up to main award): (tie) Kid With A Bike (dir: Dardenne brothers), Once Upon A Time In Anatolia (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)

Best Actor: Jean Dujardin (The Artist)

Mise en Scene (Best Director): Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive)

Best Actress: Kirsten Dunst (Melancholia)

Prix du Scenario (Screenplay): Joseph Cedar, Footnote (Israel) Prix Du Jury: Poliss (dir: Maiwenn)

Palme d'Or Court Metrage: Cross Country (dir: Maryna Vroda)

Camera d'Or (Best First Film): Las Acasias (dir: Pablo Giorgelli)

-Joey's Two Cents: The top prize going to The Tree of Life was mildly surprising, but it was always going to be an all or nothing endeavor (shame on me for predicting otherwise). Overall, I was right about the acting awards, which I'm kind of proud of, and counting my alternates, I hit on Director as well...thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. An interesting group of winners, to me at least...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, only one of my predictions came true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty I don't think it was a surprise that "The Tree of Life" won the big one. I saw this coming a mile away. So you have movie in which the buzz is about how horrible it is but yet the film has so far a 90% or so positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes? But I agree this was either going to be all or nothing. The surprise for me was Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive). I am curious now to see how this plays out. By the few clips I saw I thought this might just be another good movie, not great, ala "Somewhere". And finally Dunst winning Best Actress is probably the most intricate thing in a while. She was my alternative but still (sad face for Swinton). And did anyone notice how they completely snubbed Almadovar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trunks- The Drive clips look excellent to me, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete