Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Super 8 has been seen by a select few...what's the early word?

Well, it's pretty positive, with some people even talking it up for a Best Picture nomination. Here's the compilation of the buzz from /Film:

The first public screening of JJ AbramsSuper 8 took place this Saturday in Hollywood. A few movie journalists were in attendance, and today Paramount Pictures gave word that we were allowed to “tweet about your thoughts on the film” before the review embargo breaks on June 1st. I’m sure more than a few of you already follow me on Twitter and already heard what I thought (if you don’t, you can find my tweets on @slashfilm). I’ve decided to do a round up of all the early tweet reactions to the film. Hit the jump to find out what people thought of Super 8.

Slashfilm: Loved it, they don’t make these types of movies anymore. The best thing I can say about the film is that I loved the characters/setting/tone so much that I probably would have enjoyed it just as much as a Stand By Me-like coming of age drama without the sci-fi/train crash/action. Its one of those films that feels like it was made just for me. (someone asked if its more E.T. or Cloverfield, I responded: It’s Cloverfield with the characters and setting of E.T.)

FirstShowing: absolutely loved it, lived up to my high expectations. Felt like watching an Amblin classic. Of course, it’s expected I’d love it, considering how excited I was for it, but yes, it’s that good. Really need to see it again!

Collider: It’s great. Made me feel like a kid again

Jen Yamato: I enjoyed Super 8′s Goonies vibe; the kids are great. Has its problems, but none are deal breakers for me…though they will be for others.

LA Times Hero Complex: Remember how the academy expanded the best picture race to include crowdpleasers and sublime spectacle films? Meet “Super 8″…

More after the jump...

Devincf: If JJ Abrams ever got a good script he would be an amazing director. SUPER 8 script is a huge mess. SUPER 8 simply has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be. Kids are great, looks nice, has no throughline…

Jenna Busch: #Super8 is AMAZING!!!! Nostalgic, action-packed and just damn entertaining! Woot!

Meli_Molina: Yeppers, I certainly did like it quite a bunch.

JimmyO: Super 8 is pure movie magic! Let’s just say it is truly spectacular!

BloodyDisgusting: On a positive note, I can reveal I have seen Super 8 and LOVED it.

STYD News: Cool monster mash w/terrific ensemble cast. Nostalgia might blind you to its problems. Still, I liked it. Full review to come!

Steve Barton: Wow. Just wow. Days later I’m still happy it’s like Christmas for monster movie fans!

BDK Reviews: Easily the best movie of 2011 so far!

JRothC: It was everything I wanted it to be. A coming-of-age sci-fi adventure like the classics I love. Super 8′s great for older kids AND grown-ups who long for the classic sci-fi films of the late ’70s and ’80s. Longer review to come — but I loved it — think you will too!

ThomasLeupp: ‘Super 8′ is terrific: very scary, surprisingly funny, only slightly marred by forced Spielbergian sentiment.

TreyAlexMovies: Super 8 is an adventurous blast! A thriller with a heart and laughs. Abrams and Spielberg are a great team.

Manny Movies: SUPER 8 is funny, spooky, haunting, uplifting…old school filmmaking at its finest…YOU WILL LOVE IT!

JakesTakes: Congratulations, JJ Abrams. You just made the best movie of 2011

stevezaragoza: AMAZING, WONDERFUL, SUPERB, HEARTWARMING, EXCITING, SPECTACULAR! Now who wants to touch me?!

RowenetReview: I loved it! Check it out when it comes out June 10! Best movie I’ve seen all year.

lukesingleton: absolutely loved it, lived up to my high expectations. Felt like watching an Amblin classic.

-Joey's Two Cents: My anticipation for this flick is skyrocketing. Honestly, there's very little this summer I want to see more...thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that it's living up to the hype...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much as I expected really. Of all the hyped up movies coming out this year, this is the one I least expected to fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol this sounds just like Avatar. People got excite, they let a "Select few" (which from the looks of it look all to be already Abram's fans or support that type of genre in a way)and in the end when the real critics go and see, it is met with more mixed than positive reviews. So I will wait for those and see the movie myself. At the end this is actually really interesting. Because to make it into the 10 the Academy already made clear that it wouldn't support a nerdy fan base when Star Trek failed to get in. However he has a better chance with Spielberg being producer. However Spielberg is directing 2 movies this year that are already vying for that spot. So We'll really have to wait and see what movies he campaigns with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it seemed like the usual film websites that got invited to me, for one.

    ReplyDelete