Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (5/24/2011)

This week, I won't lie to you, is one of the worst I've seen for DVD. There's only two releases, I didn't care much for either of them, and there's really no saving graces. These don't come along too often (and I always think that it's the last time something like this is going to occur), but when they do, it's annoying for a lover of DVD like myself. I'm not even going to bother overloading my Vintage picks, I'm just going to get through this week and focus on the better ones to come (in 2 weeks we have an excellent assortment of films hitting shelves). For my PICK OF THE WEEK, I'm going with the lesser of two evils. The film in question is harmless, but very average. I'd honestly almost rather not have a pick this week, but I'm not a quitter, so we press on. Now, on to the movie getting the dubious honor. It's:

Gnomeo and Juliet

I got a few giggles out of this animated flick, and that was its saving grace. It was sporadically clever, but it just tried too hard to be "hip". It's definitely not an awful movie or anything, but I've never had to sink this low to make a top pick. If you've got young kids or have a thing for kids flicks, then you might find this to be fun enough. For most others though, it's barely acceptable as disposable entertainment. Again, I normally wouldn't be citing something like this in a slot like this, but it is what it is. Sigh...

-The only other release this week is the incredibly mediocre sci-fi film I Am Number Four. Derivative, boring, and shamelessly trying to be a franchise, there's not much to like with this flick. It plays almost like a 'Twilight' type movie with no vampires, and aliens instead. Unless you loved the film in theaters, I don't see any reason to bother with it. That being said, if you're desperate for something new to watch, there's not much else to choose from at the moment...

-My Vintage pick this week, in honor of the release of The Tree of Life, is Terrence Malick's best film in my opinion. It's Badlands, and it's a stark and incredibly compelling portrait of the Charles Starkweather killings. I'm not a big Malick fan, but I really like this movie. If you never saw it, do yourself a favor and check it out.

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

7 comments:

  1. I would go even further and recommend a full-on Malick marathon to coincide with The Tree of Life's premiere. Along with the superb Badlands, Days of Heaven is a film that simply must be seen before you die, and The Thin Red Line is one of the best war movies ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And The New World! Gah, how could I have forgotten that one?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lukewarm on Days of Heaven and I've actually never gotten through The Thin Red Line...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for The New World...just didn't do much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on I Am Number Four. Aside from maybe 2 performances, the acting was boring (especially from the two leads), and some of the dialogue is absolutely awful. Why people think it was better than Twilight (the films), I will never understand...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've managed to avoid Twilight, so I'm blissfully ignorant there...

    ReplyDelete