Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (5/3/2011)

This week, things pick up a bit on DVD, but mainly because of the rather abysmal offerings of last week. Today there's some more variety, though the quality is still not especially where it should be. We press on anyhow, as this is what we do here. Getting down to the nitty gritty, there's one title that stands head and shoulders above the rest. It's my obvious choice for my PICK OF THE WEEK. It's:

The Green Hornet

I found this action comedy hybrid a lot of fun, and not your average superhero flick. Some took umbrage with the chosen tone of the film, but I think it fit in a strange way. Seth Rogen is more fitting to this particular hero than previously thought, and overall it's just an entertaining piece of popcorn cinema. It won't change your life, but it won't make your brain hurt either. If you enjoyed the movie like I did, now that it's on DVD you can bring it home and enjoy again!

-Also getting released this week is the incredibly disappointing Ron Howard comedy The Dilemma, the direct to DVD Renee Zellweger drama My Own Love Song, and the adequate romantic drama Waiting for Forever. I don't recommend any of these (though I can't comment on the Zellweger flick, since I've yet to see it), but I suppose you could do worse overall if you're desperate for something to watch.

-Rounding out the releases are the romantic comedy From Prada to Nada and the crime flick A Somewhat Serious Man. I haven't seen either, so you'll have to make a judgment call on your own about seeing them or not. I don't think you're missing anything, but I certainly can't say for sure.

-My Vintage pick is, in honor of this week's release of The Beaver, another Anton Yelchin film (he has a plum supporting role in The Beaver). It's Charlie Bartlett, and I found this teen flick incredibly charming, with his lead role being a really memorable one. The sarcasm in this one will be in the upcoming release as well (judging by the script I read), so it could be an interesting starting off point. Also, I just dig the movie a lot and want more people to see it!

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

9 comments:

  1. Next week has a phenomenal release, I assure you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure hurt my brain to see such an amazing director put out such an inane action comedy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely getting The Green Hornet! I also heard that From Dusk Till Dawn is coming out on Blu-ray, so I might get that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert- I'd argue he spiced it up a bit, but I'll agree that it's far from a project that you immediately recognize as being from this particular auteur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny- I tend to not do the Blu-Ray news just because it's still somewhat of a niche item for many, but yes, From Dusk Til Dawn is out on Blu-Ray today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next week has a phenomenal release, I assure you...
    COUGH BLUE VALENTINE COUGH

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Joey and I agree about a film being one of (if not the) best films of the year, it's got to be something special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, the only times you usually see us agree is when we agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete