Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (3/8/2011)

This week on DVD, we have a decent mix of films hitting shelves, though nothing counts as a "great movie". The entire lot are (or seem to be) solid options, but there lacks something to enthusiastically recommend. That being said, we press on anyhow, since that's what we do. For my PICK OF THE WEEK, I went with the most unusual flick of the bunch, which also happens to be my favorite of the group. It's:

Four Lions

One of (if not) the best satires of 2010, this terrorism comedy manages to amuse while also pushing buttons in just the right way. The tale of inept suicide bombers could have been a complete misfire (no pun intended), but somehow the line was walked by director Chris Morris and the end result is something surprisingly good. I definitely recommend picking this one up, as it's unlike anything else I saw this year. Give it a try and you just might find yourself seeing something special.

-The other recommendation worthy films out today are the Oscar nominated documentary Inside Job and the romantic comedy Morning Glory. Neither particularly wowed me, but both accomplished what they set out to do with aplomb. I suppose they both very mildly disappointed me, but only because I was expecting something special from them. That's nothing against them though, as they're well worth your time and money.

-The rest of this week's releases are Jackass 3 (which is what it is), as well as two flicks I didn't see. They are the documentary A Film Unfinished and the indie dramedy Every Day. I can't speak to the latter two, but the former is critic proof, so if it appeals to you, enjoy.

-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor of the release of Battle: Los Angeles, a grouping of films that seemingly combine to make up this one. They are Black Hawk Down, District 9, and Independence Day. Watch those three as a triple feature and you'll be more than set for the next attack on LA coming out this Friday.

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. The rest of March isn't bad for DVD, so stay tuned...some Oscar winners are hitting!

    ReplyDelete