Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Curious how long The Tree of Life might run when it hits theaters?

Well, wonder no more, according to The Film Stage:


If you’ve been following our site, you know Terrence Malick‘s The Tree of Life is, one of, if not the most-anticipated film of the year. The Austin-area director won’t be having a secret screening at SXSW this month, but rather a likely Cannes premiere before its May 27th debut via Fox Searchlight. While snooping around its French distributor’s site, EuropaCorp, I came across the runtime for the film. Also letting us know it will premiere May 18th over there, it revealed a running time of 2 hours and 18 minutes. With not much to go on, let’s look how it stacks up against his previous four films:



  • Badlands (1973) – 1 hour and 34 minutes
  • Days of Heaven (1978) – 1 hour and 34 minutes
  • The Thin Red Line (1998) – 2 hours and 50 minutes
  • The New World (2005) – 2 hours and 15 minutes (excluding extended cut adding 37 minutes)
  • The Tree of Life (2011) – 2 hours and 18 minutes


There you have it, about the same running time as his last film. It will be interesting to see the mix of the universe and the personal family story fitting in that time, as VFX legend Douglas Trumball recently spoke about.

-Joey's Two Cents: Soon we won't have to speak in hypotheticals about the flick, and that's a good thing in my book...thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I think we might have actually expected it to be longer, so this is good to know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me too. I was certain it was going to hit the three hour mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah this is a relief to me. I don't mind long movies, in fact a lot of my favourites are closer to 3 hours than 2, but I struggle big time in the cinema with long running times and this is one I wanna see in the cinema.

    ReplyDelete