Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (3/22/2011)

This week, there isn't a whole lot to write home about on DVD, but when has that stopped us in the past? In fact, there's only one thing in stores that I wouldn't call a complete waste of times. Obviously, we've had better weeks before, but we've had worse ones too, trust me. Nose to the grindstone and such...but hey, it's a living. As for my PICK OF THE WEEK, it was a pretty academic choice. It's the only decent thing out. It's:

How Do You Know

Very much a lesser James L. Brooks flick, this romantic comedy still has charm to spare and features a very good performance by Paul Rudd. Reese Witherspoon and Owen Wilson do fine jobs as well, and Jack Nicholson is, well...Jack (only toned down a tad). The plot was way too complicated for its own good and a real letdown in that regard, but you can still do worse than a Brooks rom-com when you're looking for a date night type movie. The film was a huge flop last year in theaters, but mainly because it inexplicably cost well over $100 million to produce. Removed from any real expectations, it's a fine piece of entertainment to watch in the comfort of your own home. It's nothing special, but it's good enough, so it gets my recommendation.

-The rest of the releases this week...well, they leave a lot to be desired. The best of the bunch would be Yogi Bear, only because I fully expected it to be stupid and bland, and it lived up to expectations. Next down on the list is the improbably boring action flick The Tourist, which was a real disappointment. Finally, the huge sci-fi turd known as Skyline is out. The baby brother to Battle: Los Angeles (and the inferior baby brother, to boot), it's a ridiculously bad alien invasion film. The movie is almost laughably bad. None of these are worth your time, but that's not my decision to make...I just make the recommendations.

-My Vintage pick is, in honor of this week's release of Sucker Punch, the first Zack Snyder film to catch my eye. It's Dawn of the Dead, and it's one of the better remakes out there, on top of just being a really solid zombie movie. The flick has a lot in common with the recent TV series The Walking Dead, and I fully recommend them both.

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

5 comments:

  1. The movie definitely works better on DVD...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard for me to like a "good" James L. Brooks film, so I don't hold out much hope for a mediocre one. Guess I still have to wait for something that even comes close to Broadcast News...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's light entertainment...nothing cringe-worthy, just obvious he's got better in him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see How Do You Know mainly because of Witherspoon. I mean, she can't have suddenly turned into a has-been, right? Hopefully Water for Elephants will prevent that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not at all, she's enjoyable in the film.

    ReplyDelete