Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (4/26/2011)

This week, I come bearing less than thrilling news for fellow DVD aficionados. This may be the worst release day I've ever witnessed, with literally no mainstream releases hitting shelves. Yes, you heard that right...exactly ZERO new releases that anyone has really heard of. There's only two non direct to DVD offerings in general today, so it's a bummer of a week. I'll compensate below and with the Vintage picks, but for now let's get this over with. For my PICK OF THE WEEK, I'm pretty much stuck with the only thing I've seen this week. It's:

Jolene

To be fair, this isn't a bad little indie flick, and it more or less introduced me to Jessica Chastain (consider it prep work for The Tree of Life), but that being said, it's a fairly ordinary road trip movie. The "sexual awakening" aspects of it are interesting and the acting is good, but it's not particularly anything to write home about. It got a tiny release last October, and while I'm glad I saw it, I don't know that it would have came close to top honors in any other release week other than this one. Alas...

-The other film out this week is the Bollywood flick 3 Idiots. I haven't seen it, but it's a pitiful enough release date for DVD that it might be worth taking a flyer on this mysterious one and seeing if it surprises you. It certainly can't hurt any to give it a try.

-As a bonus because of the rather poor slate of films to choose from, I humbly present to you 9 of my top 10 films of 2010 as a reminder of some high class flicks to see on DVD or Blu-Ray (the only missing piece is Blue Valentine, which comes out for home viewing next month). They are, in alphabetical order: Black Swan, Howl, The Kids Are All Right, Love and Other Drugs, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, The Social Network, Somewhere, The Town, and Toy Story 3. All are out now, so pick them up and enjoy!

-My Vintage pick this week is, in honor the release of Sympathy for Delicious, some other notable directorial debuts by actors (this one is Mark Ruffalo's debut). They are Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (George Clooney), Garden State (Zach Braff), Gone Baby Gone (Ben Affleck), The Indian Runner (Sean Penn), Play Misty For Me (Clint Eastwood), and Slipstream (Anthony Hopkins). There are lots of others ones out there as well, so check out some of these and some of those as well!

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

3 comments:

  1. Next week is an upgrade, I promise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott Pilgrim? Really? I liked it, but I didn't think that it was THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much so, was my #7 of 2010...out of 200, no less.

    ReplyDelete