Monday, April 25, 2011

Can Mel Gibson salvage his career and image with The Beaver?

Well, that remains to be seen, but the potential is certainly there, considering the script for The Beaver is kind of brilliant. I go over it in my Script Review of the film here, but suffice to say, Gibson has got an Oscar worthy role to play with (not to mention juicy supporting parts for supporting players Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence). The early word from screenings was very positive as well, so if audiences are willing to pay to see Mel again, this could be not just a critical hit, but a commercial one as well.

Here's an excerpt from our exclusive Script Review:

In terms of awards potential, I’d look at Best Original Screenplay as where the best possibility lies. If the movie is a hit, Best Actor is where the love should go, though don’t count out Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress (Lawrence), or even Best Director. I don’t know that it’ll be the Academy’s cup of tea, but the potential is there.
Overall, ‘The Beaver’ is one of the best scripts I’ve read in a while. It’s different, but not in an off-putting way. It’s incredibly
touching, and while some may not be thrilled with its choice of denouement, I found it perfect and apt. The premise may be a hard sell, but I can assure you, this will be worth your time. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the movie. If the script is properly executed on screen, this could easily be one of the best films of 2011.

--

Go check out the latest Awards Circuit Script Review (the first of 2011 after The Social Network and Buried were two of the prominent ones featured last year) and let me know what you think!

-Can Mel Gibson ever get back to being considered a respected actor, or will he have to move completely behind the camera in the future?

5 comments:

  1. I can't say enough about this script, especially how it deals with the subplot involving Gibson's character's son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that this movie is his comeback. He is a good actor and deserves a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going by the material I read, the ingredients are all there for a big comeback. The early reviews have said it's a great performance (look at Richard Roeper's review, he absolutely raves about the flick).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to discredit you or anything, but Richard Roeper isn't exactly the most discerning film critic in the world (he called for Blood Diamond to be nominated for Best Picture in 2006, remember?). Still, my interest in this film has piqued considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Blood Diamond quite a bit actually (he certainly wasn't the only one calling for that, as it ended up with 5 nods overall), and I do tend to see eye to eye with Roeper a decent amount of the time.

    That all being said, I can only go by the script, and it's a great script...

    ReplyDelete