Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (2/15/2011)


This week on DVD, we have a relatively slim selection to choose from (in terms of quantity more than quality), but after the last few weeks being more or less an embarrassment of riches, it's not a big deal. All of the releases are worth your time, but none of them exactly set my world on fire. For me PICK OF THE WEEK, I went with one of the better documentaries of the year. It's:

Waiting for 'Superman'

This engaging look at the public education system in America isn't perfect, but it is a documentary that has its heart in the right place. The film is compelling enough, and you leave it with (hopefully) ideas in your heart for improving the system. I don't know that it was necessarily "snubbed" an Oscar nomination, but it definitely deserved the consideration it got. Now that it's on DVD, a wider audience can get the chance to check it out and work on saving the educational future of the next generation.

-Also out this week is the runaway train film Unstoppable and the latest Woody Allen flick You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger. The former is an entertaining enough action movie and the latter is Allen back in England, doing above average work for the Woodman. Neither are amazing, but both are worth your time, in my humble opinion.

-My Vintage pick is, in honor of this week's release of Unknown, another movie in which Liam Neeson kicks ass. It's Taken, and it's one of the more purely entertaining action romps of the past few years. I like more and more each time I see it, so I recommend you all giving it another shot!

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

1 comment:

  1. In a couple of weeks the output increases again, so sit tight!

    ReplyDelete