Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Joey's DVD Picks of the Week (3/15/2011)

This week, we have one of the Best Picture nominees hitting shelves for your purchasing/viewing pleasure. It's the only real high quality release of the week, but it's good enough that it elevates the entire group upwards. This of course makes my PICK OF THE WEEK a bit anti-climactic, but that's not a big deal at all. My choice is one of my top 25 films of 2010. It's:

The Fighter

A refreshing take on the tired boxing genre, this was a winning character study that also managed to be an uplifting biopic and sports drama as well. Mark Wahlberg was the rock that held the film together as Micky Ward, but the real highlight of the film was Christian Bale's amazing supporting performance. Throw in great turns by Amy Adams and Melissa Leo, as well as solid direction from David O. Russell, and the end result was a great flick. Now that it's available to own, I can't recommend it enough!

-The other releases this week are the very disappointing Clint Eastwood supernatural drama Hereafter, the mediocre romantic comedy The Switch, the documentary about a parking lot, aptly called The Parking Lot Movie, and the documentary about garbage called Waste Land. I only saw the first two films, but the latter two are supposed to be strong docs, so perhaps that's the other flicks this week to take a look at, as the other ones (outside of my top pick, of course) are nothing to write home about.

-My Vintage pick is, in honor of this week's release of the comedy Paul, are some other comedies involving the people behind the flick (Nick Frost, Simon Pegg, and Greg Mottola). They are Adventureland, Superbad, and Shaun of the Dead. Those are 3 excellent films, and are more than just comedies, so give them another (or a first) watch!

-What will you be watching on DVD this week?

3 comments:

  1. The Fighter didn't miss my top 10 by much, just like Hereafter didn't miss my bottom 10 by too much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought that Melissa Leo was better than Christian Bale in The Fighter. But that's just me.

    I want to see The Switch, so I'll try to catch that in a few weeks.

    MAYBE I'll see Hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with that...I actually thought Bale and Adams gave the best performances in the movie, though Leo and Marky Mark were no slouches...

    The Switch isn't awful, just standard order rom-com with a slightly unique premise.

    Hereafter is borderline bad

    ReplyDelete